Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nathan Burcham's First Sunday

FLAG recently hired Nathan Burcham as the new college and worship pastor.

On Sunday, May 25 he came and led worship and after the 3rd service the congregation was invited to eat lunch at Wheat State Pizza with Nathan.

“I was very impressed with the hospitality of the people, especially how open they were with someone new to them,” said Burcham.
Nathan returned Sunday, June 8 as a new staff member.
He summed his first Sunday as staff as “delightfully scary” and commented on how people made him feel welcome.

“I felt like I was already integrated into the FLAG family and that people were excited to see me,” said Burcham.After 3 services his fingers were still holding up, but his voice was losing some stamina.“I made an effort to get myself into 'guitar shape.' I should have focused a little bit more on 'vocal shape' because my fingers lasted much longer than my voice,” said Burcham.

Nathan has a strong background in Assembly of God churches. His father has pastored A/G churches all of his life and he went to Southwestern Assemblies of God University in Waxahachie, TX. He majored in church ministries and received an additional associate of arts in Business Administration while in college. He will be beginning his Master's degree in Theology through distance education this fall.

Although Nathan is moving from the Dallas metroplex, he is already somewhat familiar with this area. He was born in Iola, KS, but then quickly moved to Caldwell for thirteen years. He completed his high school years outside of Lawrence, KS.

What brought him back to Kansas?

“My parents informed me of the position (they are friends of Pastor Mark and Sarah.) They told me about this job opening and I submitted my resume to Pastor Mark. It only took twenty minutes for him to call me back," said Burcham. “After talking with the pastor about the church and the community, I had a desire to fill the position.”

Some of the things that he is looking forward to at FLAG include remembering everyone's name, kicking off CHI ALPHA in the fall, and becoming a part of the Pittsburg community.

Here are some fun facts about Nathan:
Favorite Color: crimson and blue
Birthday: October 14, 1985
Favorite movie(s): The original Star Wars trilogy
Favorite food: peanut butter sandwich
Favorite dessert: chocolate cake
Hobbies: basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, playing bass guitar, and drinking Starbuck's coffee
Favorite Quote: “Christians can be relevant in today's society if they see the invisible, speak of the unmentionable, care for the unlovable, seize the unreachable, an draw closer to the Infinite.”-unknown

0 Comments: